Volunteer with us!
Come and experience the incredible warmth of Sasak hospitality in Sembalun village and join one of our many youth-led programs.
We welcome anyone interested in volunteering with us, whether you have skills and knowledge in our program areas or are simply motivated and passionate to help out, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to discuss and organise a volunteer program that suits your skills and interests. We want to ensure that you have a good experience whilst making a meaningful impact in our community.
1 week: USD $200
1 month: USD $700
Minimum stay: Flexible*
*We would love to have you for any amount of time; obviously for you and for us the longer your stay the more rewarding and beneficial your efforts will be.
• Accommodation with a host family in a local Sasak house
• Three meals a day, plus unlimited supply of tea and coffee.
In-community travel expenses
• During your stay we will be responsible for your travel and safety; you will have a local guide who will act as your driver and provide assistance during your daily activities.
Community development activities
• Training and educating local farmers in eco-agriculture and the re-introduction of traditional organic fertilizers. The use of chemical based fertilizers has, over time, drastically reduced soil quality and forced farmers to become dependent on more powerful and expensive variants. We want to break this cycle.
• Funding various kind of relevant trainings and other annual programs
• Scholarships for local children to allow them to complete their basic school education. Many families in Sembalun are unable to financially support the education of their children. This means that many children do not finish school and join their families in the fields from a young age.
• Supplies for education and programs at our Community Development Centre – exercise books, pencils, art supplies, computers, desks.
• Providing a salary for our hard-working teachers in the Community Development Centre
• Funding our annual reforestation program. We start planting as soon as the rainy season comes on November, while the seedling process starts around June or July.
• Funding our environmental awareness campaign
We have formulated several long term plans which to our estimation will require a bigger amount of financial support. For this reason we are saving a small percentage from the volunteer programs.
Above are our annual program for the year 2013, there may be other programs come on the way, we are trying to work in a flexible manner to better accommodate a sudden needs and changes.